Sunday, November 16, 2008

Smoked Salmon

I just love the taste of smoked salmon; it is a treat to me and my family during the fishing season. I usually use chum salmon (also called Keta salmon in the stores) for smoking due to the fact that this kind of salmon is very oily and usually isn't good for table fare and I certainly wouldn't serve it to guests for dinner, but it does well for smoking if the fish isn't too dark in color (the skin). This is a favorite dry brine of mine to smoke these fish and has decent flavor.

1 box brown sugar (16oz.)
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 Tblsp. black pepper
1 Tblsp. dry mustard
1 Tblsp. onion salt
1 Tblsp. garlic salt
1 Tblsp. onion salt
....add more brown sugar for a sweeter taste

Mix all ingreidents and rub into salmon meat side and then place into gallon size bags and place in fridge for at least 24 hours; turning bags every so often. The brine will turn to liquid but this is ok. After brining place in warm smoker with alder chips and smoke until done. Also remember to keep adding wood chips and smoke until done to desired taste. I usually smoke for 14-16 hours until it is flaky and not too wet as I like a more drier smoked salmon; I then let the fish cool on cooling racks and then cut into 3"-5" pieces and place into plastic bags and place in fridge for snaking later.

I always try new recipes and see what each one has to offer for flavor; personally I prefer a sweeter piece of salmon as opposed to a bland or too spicy piece of salmon. Remember some other good flavors to try are: Yoshida's sauce, soy sauce (this is good but must be accomp. by some sugar due to the saltiness of soy sauce) and there are also many wet brines which yield excellent flavor; just have an open mind and do some twisting of different flavors.

No comments: