Saturday, August 30, 2008

A favorite salmon egg cure of mine

I already know that when you read this you are going to be asking yourself "is this guy crazy?" Why? Because I got the same response from people at the river a few years ago when I told them what I had cured my salmon eggs with, but the truth is they asked because I was outfishing them and they couldn't figure out why. I just told them the truth and they looked at me in amazement and laughed, but in the end they wanted to try my eggs and they too had success. Now this is not a "cure" so to speak but more of something to add color to the eggs; ok are you ready for what I like to use? I like to use raspberry jell-o in the powder form to color my eggs, this gives them a really nice red color (I am not sure if it gives them a scent or not) but when I did a test against a well known salmon egg consumers can buy online; my eggs outfished the eggs I purchased online.

After I "cured" them I let them dry a bit so they'd toughen up and then placed them in borax. I tried this because I was short on money and didn't have the money for a store bought cure; well...it worked like a charm. Last year on a local river I caught 10 slamon using jell-o.

I actually learned this trick from a friend of mine Mike Byeman who taught me how to fish the rivers for salmon and steelhead; when he told me he likes to use jell-o I just thought he did it because he is cheap and doesn't like to spend a lot of money. He is always making new lures from metal pieces and they work. He is also trying new things that when you look at it you say "that won't work" but the truth is they do work, he has even tried bubble gum and caught fish with it? Go figure.

Anyhow for a new trick and maybe amaze your friends try the raspberry jell-o and see how other fishermen around you look at you when you out fish them; at first don't let them in on your secret. Now I'am not saying you are gonna catch a ton of fish, but as usual it is all about presentation and where the fish are at and if they are on or off the bite. Good luck and happy fishing to all.

No comments: